Thursday, May 15, 2008

You Be The Judge

I've decided that I just don't understand some people...

I guess everyone has different views on life and everyone is certainly entitled to those views, but after much consideration I've decided that I am unfortunately a very judgmental person. For example, I was at daycare picking up Chase today and I was talking to one of the teachers and she reminded me that we have to pick up Chase by 3pm tomorrow because the daycare is closed in the afternoon for teacher appreciation. I told her that we would get Chase around 2:30. I guess it turns out that tons of parents have been asking "So, exactly how late can I pick up my kid?" Well, since the daycare closes at 3pm and it is in the handbook, and there are signs posted, and the teachers are reminding everyone, I would guess that you should pick up your kid by 3pm.

So after those initial thoughts, the judging began. I started wondering why it was so difficult for parents to plan ahead and request a day off work or even an afternoon off work, especially since we have known about this since the beginning of the year. Next I decided that those parents weren't being very kind or appreciative of the teachers who watch their children all day. Then after that I started wondering why people even have children if they don't want to make the time to take care of them.

What a huge leap for me to make - from someone not being able to pick up their kid - to them not being a good parent. It's a bit ridiculous and I should probably be more careful about that because I'm sure in some cases there are circumstances that make the situation difficult. Also on the other side of the coin I'm sure that there are stay at home moms out there wondering the exact same thing about me since I am a working mom. Every story has two sides.

All that being said, it was very eye opening for me to realize how quickly I jump to conclusions. Maybe next year I will make a resolution to not be so critical of others but I think for the time being I will just try to keep my opinions to myself.

1 comment:

hooli said...

OK... I can already tell that I'm going to get an immense kick out of this! Thanks for sharing and we'll stop by from time to time!
(Julia)