Monday, October 6, 2008

Smarter then a Monkey


Chase did two things today that made me realize he is smarter then I gave him credit for...

1)  Chase was playing in the kitchen this morning and he pulled out a measuring cup, a chip clip, and some metal tongs.  I figured those were all pretty safe so I let him play with them.  The next thing I know I hear a scratching noise.  So I turn around...and Chase is using the metal tongs to try to pry out the outlet covers in one of our outlets!  First of all, where does a 1 year old learn to use tongs properly???  Second, how did he learn that outlet covers could be pried out?  I was amazed - I also just about laughed myself silly.

2)  The second thing that Chase did today was that I gave him an XBox controller without batteries.  He seemed happy at first but then after a moment he started pointing at the TV and making angry noises and pushing the control buttons.  He did this for quite awhile until I figured out that he was upset because he has some how mentally associated the controller with things happening on the TV - it was his first display of understanding cause and effect.  After I turned on the TV he was much happier...


1 comment:

Chance said...

Wow! I am impressed! That takes some serious thinking! I'm glad AJ never thought about prying the outlet covers out with kitchen utensils!